CEA Launches QuieterHome® Program

Read more about this program in the Daily Herald.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 13th, 2019
publicrelations@chiexec.com

Chicago Executive Airport Launches QuieterHome® Program for Residential Sound Insulation

FAA-funded multi-year program provides sound insulating materials at no cost to qualifying local homeowners

PROSPECT HEIGHTS AND WHEELING, IL – Today, Chicago Executive Airport (CEA) announced the launch of its comprehensive residential sound insulation program, known as QuieterHome®.

This program provides sound insulating materials at no cost to eligible homes, and its launch continues CEA’s years-long efforts to reduce aircraft noise for local residences near the airport. The Federal Aviation Administration will provide 90% of QuieterHome funds, with the remaining 10% coming from CEA.

The QuieterHome program is a comprehensive, multi-year effort that will benefit hundreds of homes, and its launch marks the culmination of mitigation strategies that have reduced overall airport noise 30% since 1986. Now, CEA and its partners will work directly with the homeowners most affected by aircraft noise to provide customized sound mitigation solutions using the latest technology in the form of windows, doors, ventilation systems, and other residential construction improvements.

“Our mission is not just to be the best general aviation airport in the country, it’s also to be a great neighbor to our surrounding community,” explained Jamie Abbott, CEA’s executive director. “Being able to provide sound mitigation materials directly into individual homes is a huge but worthwhile undertaking. Alongside our partners at the FAA, municipalities, and vendors, we’re up for the challenge.”

In order for homes to be eligible for improvements, they must meet a series of requirements mandated by the FAA. This starts by establishing a contour map of the sound levels surrounding the airport and identifying homes that fall within certain boundaries. From there, CEA’s QuieterHome program partner, C&S Companies, works with individual owners on further sound testing to inform eligibility. Age of the residence, current condition, and measured sound levels all play a part in the final eligibility determination.

“One of our biggest priorities is communicating directly with homeowners as much as possible,” said Penny Merritt from C&S Companies and the QuieterHome project manager. “This is a large, complex project with many moving pieces, but we want each homeowner to have the most up-to-date information and to feel invested in this process.”

The QuieterHome program launches with a pilot program of ten (10) homes in the highest need areas, with sound insulation installed in these homes throughout 2020. Following the successful completion and evaluation of the pilot phase, the program will be expanded throughout 2021 and beyond.

For more details on QuieterHome, program eligibility requirements, the latest timeline, and contact information for the project office, please visit chiexec.com.

ABOUT CHICAGO EXECUTIVE AIRPORT

Chicago Executive Airport-PWK is the premier general aviation destination in the Chicago area and the top reliever for Chicago O’Hare International (ORD), accepting 80,000 corporate, charter, and recreational aircraft annually. As a regional economic engine, the airport generates $393 million in annual output and millions of dollars in local and municipal tax revenue. Chicago Executive is jointly owned by the Village of Wheeling and the City of Prospect Heights. Visit us at chiexec.com to learn more.

###

Download a PDF of this press release

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *